Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Love me, love my recommendation

I discovered a new comedy on Netflix last week. In the little thought I put into this post prior to writing it I contemplated not telling you what the programme is called, simply because then you won't accuse me of doing the very act I'm criticising. Then I realised that I'm criticising myself for doing that thing anyhow, so it kind of doesn't matter.

On top of that I don't think anyone reads these blog posts these days anyhow, so to hell with it.

The programme is called Norsemen.

It's set in the Viking Age in Norway and I started watching it purely because someone I follow on Twitter mentioned it and I tend to like most things Scandinavian. It was potentially a win win for all, as fuckwits who don't understand that that is what a "win win" is anyhow and who probably go around saying 'safe haven' too would say.

The thing is, I started watching it because I thought it was one of those serious, gory and adventurous Viking drama series. Instead, about five minutes in I realised it's a comedy. It's a dry, dark comedy mixed in with quite a lot of gore. I've seen it described as the bastard child of Game of Thrones and The Office (obviously the proper British Office, not that American trash). I don't suppose it could be a bastard child with two parents, but that's another matter. Other than that the description seems accurate.

It's one of those "hang on, did he really say that?" type of comedies, not in your face hilarious but think on it afterwards hilarious. There's oodles of subtlety to it and I apologise to all Sri Lankans here for I know you don't have subtlety there.

I binged on it big time and watched both series in about three days. 

The thing is I've been telling everyone I know about it.

"You must watch this."

"I know you'll love this, give it a try."

"I've found this brilliant programme."

And, though I've come across a surprising number of people who have already watched it, all of whom loved it, not one person I'm aware of has watched it following my recommendation.

You know me, I ponder and cogitate on these things. It dawned on me that it's important to me to try to get people I value to respond positively to any recommendations I make. I know it's entirely my ego and I'm quite sure it's human nature, not just one of my idiosyncrasies.

But yes, I want people to listen to a song or band I have told them about. I want you to watch Norsemen because I suggested it and I want you to read that book I recommended.

It matters doesn't it?

We all want to be that person, that wise counsel who discovers something and spreads it to the masses. Influencers I think is the word. Yet it's all about the ego.

As they said in Friends.

"It's not love Monica, it's just food".


No comments: