Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Looking Blue!

I decided to give LLD a change of look. You know that, because you're reading it.

I've often thought about where the line can be drawn, if at all, between the comfort of familiarity and the freshness of change. The most likely answer is that each individual has their own opinion on it, but I do find it interesting.

Many of the blogs I read regularly are like old friends. I feel reassured and cosseted to have a peek at Tiny Little Fractures and see the railway line at the top as it winds its way into the distance. The busyness of Cerno's pad has a feel all of its own, one that I like and suits his blog, but I don't recollect seeing anywhere else.

But on the other hand Julesonline has just had a facelift and it's looks fresh and the new colour scheme and layout give it a new lease of life.

Clearly there are no rules, it's all subjective.

One of the things I would like to know is what you think is the ideal number of other blogs to link to. If I see a blog that's got links to every blog in the world in one of its sidebars then I usually can't be bothered to scroll through them and click on one. Too few links and it feels to me as if the blogger isn't giving a good service to the readers.

Any opinions on this would be welcome.

5 comments:

Darwin said...

I'm a stick in the mud, I take a while to get used to snazzy new layouts and colour-schemes. Maybe that's why I haven't changed mine in oh, over a year or so!

I don't know about the link-back #. It's hard to link back to everyone that links me, but more often than not it's because I haven't got round to doing it yet. There are so many blogs I read that I don't link on my blog, so I don't think not linking back is a bad thing as such.

Anonymous said...

In "Ogilvy on Advertising" he recommends black font on white background over white on black. It's easier to read.

The white on blue is harder to read. I'm not a fan of the new colour scheme, I have to say.

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Darwin - How do you find out who links to your blog anyway?

Ravana - Thanks for that, I'll probably do some experimenting and see what comes.

Anonymous said...

Try this link on Technorati that lists any blog that links to yours. Quite handy.

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Thanks Cerno