Monday, March 20, 2006

Personality types

Something has struck me in the short time I have been blogging and reading other people's blogs. It is this: we all blog and take on the character of the personality we actually want to be.

I am always reluctant to sound as if I am speaking for anyone other than myself but I do suspect that my theory is correct for most bloggers. It is simply that we write in the style of the person whom we want to be, not in the style of the person we actually are. The exceptions would be any bloggers who are entirely at ease with themselves. If you are totally content with the way you are then I guess you will blog in your own style, never fearful that you will portray yourself as an idiot.

We all want to sound intelligent and cool!

I wonder which blogs that I read regularly actually portray the author as they really are. Who is hiding behind their "blogger personality". kottu.org is one of the feeder sites that I visit far too often. It contains links to loads of blogs by various people, all Sri Lankan or living in Sri Lanka or with a keen interest in Sri Lanka. They are organising a meet up tomorrow night and it got me thinking about what these people are really like. I would love to go to the meet up, but it is in Colombo and I am in London, which presents a small logistical problem, made worse by the fact that I have a band practice tomorrow night in Farnborough.

Many of the bloggers on Kottu appear to know each other already, they often talk about one another and seem to mix fairly regularly, so I suppose those people would find it hard to be anything other than themselves or they would be exposed pretty quickly. Others may be different. Then there is the type of person who might put across a side to his or her personality in writing that doesn't actually come across when you meet them in person.

So, one of my new aims is to make my blog become a decent reflection of what I am really like as a person.

That's it for now. By the way I didn't get the drummers job in the second band. I received an email this morning, politely saying that I am being kept in mind. I am feeling positive about this. Life goes on and I will find the band I need. PAH!!

No comments: