Saturday, July 22, 2006

Gig tonight.

Today I have mostly been practicing for my debut gig with the new covers band. It's a simple 4 piece outfit and they are all a nice bunch of chaps so it should be a laugh.

They're all Chili Peppers fans so I've had to learn a few new RHCP songs which are in the set tonight. The way I'm going I think my next move may be to try to get into a RHCP tribute band.

Tonight's set includes:

Under the Bridge
Give it away
By the way
Tell me baby
Hump da bump (crap title but great song)
Dani California

The rest of the stuff is your usual pub covers stuff; some Jimi, some Cream, I predict a riot, Superstition, you know the ones.

So, I'm practicing and warming up and listening to the Dhol Foundation to get "drum psyched".

Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I demand you play Moby Dick and follow it up by covering Billy Cobham in Mahavishnu Ochestra.

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Someone who knows about drummers - excellent!

Anonymous said...

Aye I love to watch good drummers in action.

Who are your favourites? Dave Grohl was the one who sparked my interest in drumming, but I've since moved to John Bonham, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Billy Cobham and, of course, Danny Carrey.

One day I shall play Moby Dick in its entirety. And then I shall die a happy man.

How did the gig go?

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Hey Theena, so are you a drummer yourself?

I'm more into the old "funksters". Bernard Purdie is my all time drum hero, but also Clyde and Jabo, Zigaboo Modeliste and guys loke them, the ones who play simple things but with groove and feel. I am a huge Grohl admirer too, but I prefer Taylor Hawkins' playing to Dave's now.

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Forgot to add - The gig was good for a first one with a new band. The pub was pretty dead to start with and we were asked to turn down in the first set. So I had to play By the Way and Dani California "quietly" - nightmare.

Would be good to keep on touch.

R

Anonymous said...

Nope, I play guitar mostly, but I've been meaning to pick up the drums for sometime now.

I have experience in percussion because I played a Hindu drum instrument called the miruthangam in my younger days. I am thinking that I would be more natural on drums than guitar, but the six string is a beauty in itself.

Good to hear that the gig went well. I hate it when people ask live bands to turn it down...I mean what the hell were they expecting. Recently, Stigmata, the local heavy metal band, was asked to play at an Avurudu show. At the end of the first set, the organizers told them that they needn't play their second set because
they were "too loud".

Sigh...

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

That's an excellent story - book a heavy metal band then be surprised at their loudness. I'll be in CMB in Sept, be good to meet up if you're around.

R

Anonymous said...

Sure thing. Just drop me an email.

Take care,

Theena