Monday, July 13, 2009

How To Pronounce Lamprais

I saw that someone from the UK had got to my blog the other day by searching the phrase

"Lamprais pronounciation"

My first thought was a mocking and cruel one. Along the lines of

"Ha, how stupid can someone be? It's obvious how to pronounce the word, surely anyone can work that out?"

Then I thought more about the important matter. It dawned on me that, if a chap isn't Sri Lankan, or Dutch, or used to hearing and saying the word, then it's a total mindfuck of a word. My possible pronounciations are:

Lamp rice

Lump rice

Lamp rye

Lump rye

Lamp raise

Lump raise

Confusing really, this whole language and phonetics business isn't it?

3 comments:

David Blacker said...

I'd go with "lump rise".

ViceUnVersa said...

I have a problem with the spelling all the time. As for pronunciation, go with what the burghers recommend?

Anonymous said...

I do not about you but I pronounce it "yum yum"