Wednesday, April 4, 2007

This gender and inanimate object thing

I just can't do it.

You know the way some people, usually men, refer to inanimate objects as "he" or "she". Captains of huge big ocean going ships affectionately talk about their craft as a "she".

Sri Lankan guitarists blog about their guitar called Kalpana and it becomes a female. That post by Theena made me want to write a passionate response about my drum kit, wax eloquently about it being my mistress and its gorgeous curves and generally chuck in a load of metaphors about women and sex and rude stuff.

But I couldn't do it. It's a drum kit. A lovely and stunning one, but it's still a drum kit.

As an unashamed gadget freak I have immense fondness for my car, my iPod and the plethora of useless and useful gadgets I have. But, try as I might, I can't think of them as anything but inanimate objects.

My car is a huge big bit of machinery, put together rather fantastically and it's a joy to drive but it's a machine and that's all it is. It's not a she, it's not a her, it's not a person.

I've got a couple of lovely snare drums, both made from Birch that was found at the bottom of Lake Superior. The Birch was about 600 years old when it was felled, it was then floated across Lake Superior but sank, only to get discovered about 100 years later. This wood was made into various types of musical instruments. There were some guitars and some very exclusive snare drums. I bought two out of the one hundred made. One to play and one to keep untouched. They sound like a dream, to a drummer's ear. But they're not referred to as shes, or hes even. No they're drums.

Is there some kind of deep psychological yearning for friendship or something in these fellows?

So what is it with you people who talk about these inanimate things as people? Are you missing out on something or am I lacking in something?

Or is your car a girl? Are you one of them?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this, I just refer to my inanimate objects as it, even ones I would probably break down in tears if they broke, like my camera or ipod. Not even the snazzy RSX I used to own, despite being a thing of beauty was a 'she'

Anonymous said...

As a general rule, it should be something big; larger than life such as Mother Nature, mother earth. Unless you own something rare as Stradivarius, no need to worry about the gender of any common instrument. However, those who do show their affection, attachment and respect to a particular object by assigning a gender.
In contrast, assignment of gender to a specific object is a question. Usually it’s decided by the physical factors. For example my town, Toronto, with its erected CN Tower is considered as male. However, they neglect the fact that the SkyDome is just look like a giant….errr….). At the end of the day it’s the freedom of choice and we have to respect it whether we like or not.

Anonymous said...

Until I met a boy recently.. I have been in love with two inanimate objects.. and i really mean in love.. my ibook , and my apartment.
They both look a little similar, white, modern, chic, highly spec'd How do I know that it's love.. well I am always happy to see them when i wake up, say goodnight to them before i sleep, my heart flutters when i glance at them from afar, and occasionally i hug them when no one is looking. I know a whole apartment is hard to hug, but I grab at a corner wall or something.. But do they have a gender.. well unless I was gay which i'm not, i guess they both must be boys... erhmm I mean men. Big strong, creative, beautiful men... (sorry bit of a tangent.. )

Anonymous said...

M'mm makes you think . It is silly in a way . But then again ...Check this (if you may) and tell whether it is Totally absurd....http://pinchpoints.blogspot.com/2007/03/blue-girl.html.


BTW cars are female , for sure

JP

Anonymous said...

Well, now one knows where to stand when one needs a hug. In a corner of Annonymus's apartment.

One

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

anon 2 (the apartment hugger!) - Funny as I'm about to buy one of these Powerbook things, they do look incredibly sexy, but I don't think I'll consider it a woman. I'll try to find out who you are though, then hide in a corner of your apartment!

Anonymous said...

Hey rhythmic ,

If you find out. You take the left corner & I'll take the spot behind the kitchen door......deal?

One

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

anon - It's a deal as long as I get to wear the iBook costume!

Anonymous said...

Oh Shoot, I missed that one ...You just doubled your possibilities....

One

Anonymous said...

Boy boys boys.. there's plenty of me to go around.. AND a very small apartment.. no need to fight.

Though finding a boy in my apartment , pressed against a wall in the dead of night (my mind is on its own little journey) might well end in something a little more than a hug.. joy of joys..

I do have floor to ceiling windows as well, so while i "hug" one of you, maybe the other gets a ring side seat...

Any more takers????

Anonymous said...

...and anon ONE, fyi i dont have a kitchen door, its all open plan, but i do have a kitchen counter... (erhmm)

I hope you're cute...

Sachini said...

R, what are these disturbing exchanges going on here? hehe soon you're going to need one of those parental advisory buttons..

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

sach - I know, it's getting smutty isn't it? This blog used to be such a nice place to hang around too!