Thursday, November 27, 2008

RD's Log, November 27th, Thanksgiving

The Singapore research and discovery continues. Only five minutes ago I saw a huge fat bloke get out of a van. One of those fellows that waddle rather than walk, usually because it's a struggle to walk with bended legs. As he levered himself out of the van I watched as its suspension relaxed and moved up a good few inches. To cap it all off nicely the chap was wearing white Birkenstock style slippers. Unbelievable!

And, for the first time in my young life, I'll be off to celebrated Thanksgiving tonight. To us, in England, Thanksgiving is something that the Americans do and always a good episode in Friends, which is the source of all of my knowledge on the matter. I don't know if there'll be praying and religious bits involved, I do know that I've got a hell of a lot to be thankful for, though am wholly unsure who I should thank for it.

Is it arrogant to feel as if I should thank myself for many of the positives in my life? Is it cocky to say that I'm a firm believer in the old saying that the harder I practice the luckier I get? Would it be way more humble and decent if I chose a God or two to worship and give thanks to?

I don't know the answer to these questions but they have got me thinking. Isn't being religious a bummer in that you'll never know for sure until you die? Imagine what it must feel like for someone to spend all their life being devout and pious and then, upon their death, to be told by St Peter that there's nothing here anymore. Or to lie on the old deathbed and then go nowhere after the event.

Anyway enough about that. One of the reasons I was thinking about death is that I read yesterday of the sad death of Michael Lee, a thirty nine year old drummer. He was an outstanding player, had toured and played with Page and Plant and I had seen him play with Thin Lizzy. In fact one of my very early blog posts covered my views on the gig in March 2006.

Last night I had a quick look at the post and was amazed and slightly embarrassed by it. It was as if it was written by a different person, I can't describe it in more detail really. There was no feel to it and it reminded me of a school chemistry experiment write up. These days I write a post or two and there are lots of things going on in my head, things more than the simple "what happened next" element.

The fact is I've got a thousand thanks to give and I'm grateful to anyone who reads this blog too. So I'll thank you to start with.

I know that I'll have to eat a whole turkey and wear expandable trousers, the rest I'll play by ear. In fact I'll probably opt for the new blue grandad top I bought and the jeans that make my arse look quite good.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

PS - Fat bloke's back in the van now. He's texting someone. I thought you'd want to know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no praying for Thanksgiving but a lot of families add their own religious overtures. Good luck with your Thanksgiving!!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are going to celebrate Thanks giving. It has become a part of me.
As far as being religious, yes we are very religious about turkey and drinks and forgetting to say thanks afterwards (I have already got two turkeys being prepared to be taken to my parents home, and a plethora of drinks, ranging from sake to 22 year old scotch peppered with aquavit and rare Korean Sochu and apple cider for kids)
I have a big family (12 adults, 6 kids) and who lives far away from us are already here and I will be leaving as soon as the turkeys are done.
Oh about praying, it is normally done by the turkeys, not us!
Once fattened up, and all the ladies are done with black Friday shopping, we will be driving to the mountains for whole three days of skiing, snowboarding!
I love thanksgiving! And thank you for all the lessons and laughs! Catch you after the holidays!

ViceUnVersa said...

I continuously give thanks to all the hot women in this world. Have you discovered Orchard Towers yet?

PS: Do miss our 'good mornings'. Tc & be good xx

Rhythmic Diaspora said...

Good morning DD, I've heard of it but not yet ventured there. Should I mention your name for preferential treatment?

ViceUnVersa said...

Shhhh...
I don't think all the floors know me, yet!
Machan it's round the corner from the Mandarin and we have stayed there so many times but even I have not been. Honestly!