Thursday, November 23, 2006

Help me make it through the night.

Yesterday one of the girls at work brought in a three disc compilation full of 70s reggae hits.

I spent the much of yesterday bopping to "help me make it through the night".

And my oh my, what a bloody great brilliant piece of genius music. I've just discovered that it was written by Kris Kristofferson, covered by Gladys Knight and also by Elvis. I knew none of that until 5 minutes ago, all I knew was that it had been performed by John Holt as a reggaeish song.

It's one of those "brings back memories" songs for me. I can remember my parents and their great friends, Uncle A and Aunty A, all dancing to it, when I was a kid in our front room. I must have been about 8 or 10 at the time. It's one of those few songs that I can't imagine anyone not liking. I know music is supposed to be subjective and all about taste and all that stuff, but when a song is as good as this, you'd have to be some kind of mad fool not to like it.

I don't care who's right or wrong.

Check it out, it's a great little choon. If music be the food of love and all that........

No comments: